Welcome to Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)

You're here: MiBSAR's home page :: SAR operations log page :: SAR op photo-journal page

Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR)
SAR Op No. 9 photo-journal:
Joe Clewley missing-person investigation

By
Michael Neiger
Marquette, Michigan
© Copyright 2008

Duration & date:
2-days; September 15-16, 2008
Agency assisted:
Whitefish Township, Chippewa County
Nearest place-name:
Paradise, Michigan
General location: Tahquamenon Falls State Park in the eastern Upper Peninsula
Trail:
Victim: Joseph Robert Clewley
White male; age 73; 5'-10"; 150 lbs
Case summary: Joe Clewley and his dog Chip went missing on July 13, 2008. His van was found parked at the North Country Trail (NCT) trailhead along the Tahqua Trail in the eastern reaches of Tahquamenon Falls State Park. Joe owned a log cabin in the area and enjoyed hiking off-trail in the park.
SAR op mission:
Recon east Camp 10 Lakes Area; view SAR op plan
MiBSAR team members:
Partner SAR teams & assets:
None
SAR op results: Joe Clewley was not located
Additional resources:

• Learn more about this investigation
• View official, Sheriff's Office-provided Web site for victim
• View MiBSAR-provided Web site and Internet blog for victim

Monday, September 15

With the rain subsiding, I departed Marquette for Paradise. When I arrived at the Tahqua Trail, the sun was burning through the overcast.

An overview of the Joe Clewley search area in the eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan, southwest of Paradise, in the Tahquamenon Falls State Park. (Graphic by Michael Neiger)

At the North Country Trail (NCT) Trailhead, I shouldered my ruck, hoping I would not run into any lost hikers as I did a couple SAR ops back. I had met a young, college-aged couple who inquired where the Lower Tahquamenon Falls was..."Eight or nine miles back down the trail," I told them. Upon hearing this, the young lady crumpled to the ground, bug-bitten, dehydrated, exhausted, and frustrated.

Fall is around the corner in Joe's Country. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

I ended up giving them a ride to the Rivermouth Campsite, where I turned them over to the Rangers for disposition. Turns out, they thought they were on a loop hike that would eventually lead them back to their campsite at the Lower Falls. Chris Ozminski came upon a similar situation on his last SAR op.

From the trailhead, I headed northwest along the NCT, combing the first couple miles of the trail for any clues to Joe's whereabouts. Once I'd ascended switchback ridge, I peeled off to the north and began a careful search of the ridgelines and hollows east of the chain of lakes known as the Camp 10 Lakes.

The bush near switchback ridge, southeast of the chain of lakes known as the Camp 10 Chain of Lakes. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

An expansive marsh near the southeast corner of the Camp 10 Chain of Lakes area. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

These fern-covered, pine-tree-studded ridges overlooking lakes, marshes, and hollows must have been one of Joe's favorite haunts as they drew me big time too.

Remnants of an old railroad grade where it crossed a wetland area situated in the southeastern corner of Lake 716 in the Camp 10 Chain of Lakes. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

Old, weathered, eastern white pine stumps line a long, narrow ridge and railroad grade separating Lakes 708 and 716 in the Camp 10 Chain of Lakes. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

As the sun began to set, I established a bivouac on a point projecting out into Lake 716 from its eastern shore. As I emerged from the bush, a huge bald eagle flew from its perch near the north end of the lake.

The view from the irregular, eastern shoreline of Lake 716 in the Camp 10 Lakes area. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

Later, sandhill cranes could be heard in the distance.

A solitary eastern white pine stands watch over Lake 716 in the Camp 10 Chain of Lakes. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

Before climbing in my bivy sack for the night, I snapped a few pictures of the setting sun.

Sunset over Lake 716 in the Camp 10 Chain of Lakes. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

Tuesday, September 16

I awoke to light rain on my tarp—and a serious, lay-on-the-ground or crawl-on-all-fours gut ache. Apparently, my body had not fully rid itself of last week's SAR-Op-shortening nasty bug.

A recently-emerged mushroom. Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

Two hours later, weak and tired, I struggled to bushwhack back to the NCT and make my way the two-plus miles to my vehicle, disappointed to have to once again cut short a SAR op for Joe.

Parting shots....Click on photo for high-resolution imagery. (Photo by Michael Neiger)

Hopefully, I'll have put this thing behind me by next week so I can return and get three days of serious recon in.

1:24,000 USGS quad showing areas searched (in red) by the Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue Team during Clewley SAR Op No. 9, September 15-16, 2008. (Base quad with North Country Trail [NCT] plot and UTM grid overlay courtesy of Chuck McCready's No Boundaries Maps and Graphics, Inc., of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, an official sponsor of the Michigan Backcountry SAR Team. Annotations by Michael Neiger)

Return to top of page  ::  Return to home page

In God's wilderness
lies the hope of the world,
the great, fresh, unblighted,
unredeemed wilderness.

— John Muir, 1838-1914
Alaska Wilderness, 1890

If you've been able to read this Web page...
thank a Teacher;
If you've been able to read this Web page in English...
thank a Veteran.
—Author unknown

• Copyright notice •
Content Copyright © 1984 -- 2009-09-16
by Michael A. Neiger

• All rights reserved •
No part of this Web page or this Web site protected by copyright law may be reproduced, transmitted, or used in any form--including graphic, electronic, Web, mechanical or other form--or by any means--including photocopying, recording, taping, Internet distribution, information storage retrieval system, or by other means--for any purpose, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages, without the prior, express, written permission of the author.

Comments? Suggestions?
Dead links? Inaccurate info?
Contact the WebMaster, Michael A. Neiger, at mneiger@hotmail.com

Web site URL: www.MibSAR.com

Return to top of page  ::  Return to home page

You're here: MiBSAR's home page :: SAR operations log page :: SAR op photo-journal page